Musky America Magazine

There is a lot of good water only minutes from Indian Trail Resort. I hopped in the boat and motored a couple of minutes to one of those spots…a spot that I had had success in the past. As I lowered my bow mount trolling motor, I could see the storm was inching its way closer. Undaunted, I picked up my bucktail rod that was loaded up with a black bucktail with an orange blade and started to search for an active Musky. As I came up on some emergent weeds after about 5 casts, I felt the lure stop…I set the hook but there didn’t seem to be any weight pulling back. I figured that I had likely hooked a Northern that was mired in the weeds. I began to play the fish when suddenly there was some healthy resistance being offered by this still unseen adversary. The amount of resistance convinced me that I had a Musky; how big I did not know. During the fight with the fish, I could see the storm getting closer. I could hear distant thunder and the smell of rain was in the air. The fish finally made an appearance and I could see that it was a respectable fish that had the treble hooked in the fleshy side of the fish’s mouth. Because the water was still in the mid-60s, the Musky was aggressive. I knew that I had to be careful not to “horse” him. The Musky inspected the bottom of the boat and I gave it line being careful to keep the line tight. He did a tour around the boat and he also jumped out of the water shaking his head attempting to throw the hook. I was talking to fish as he continued to try to free himself…encouraging him to behave himself. He was beginning to settle down, so I reached for the net. Of course, the fish decided to make another run as I got the net in hand. I dropped the net and turned my attention back to fighting the Musky. He began to settle down again and as I reached for the net, I realized that the webbing was tangled with a lure that was on another rod. Damn, now I had to free the net while still fighting the fish. To complicate matters, the storm was inching closer and the thunder as no longer in the distance. I managed to free the net and got ready to try to lead the Musky into the net. After what seemed like forever, I had the musky in the net. The lure came out of the fish’s mouth and hung up in the net. I had to be careful to